I have always loved my country. American, the land of the free. Where we learn as little kids how to sing all the patriotic songs in harmony. I don't think I would want to live anywhere else than America. Because I have heard of how other countries are like, and I am glad to be an American. I am glad to have the freedom to do whatever I want when I want in my country, and that I have the power to vote.
However, too often I hear a native born American say that they hate America and that wished they lived somewhere else. I really don't understand this, because do they not see the news and how horrible some other countries are compared to America. They have never been outside America and have seen the tragedies and disasters some countries have to put up with. If they do go out side of America it's to a vacation spot where nothing is really wrong. I have never been outside of America, but I see the news and travel channels about how some countries are, and I am glad my country is not like that and that I am free to do what I want to do. America is not perfect, but its better off than some other countries. I am proud of my country, and I'm excited to vote in this upcoming election now that I am finally 18. But I know some of my friends that also turn 18 and they just don't care. What happen when everybody was glad they where Americans and they stuck up for their country.
Today, I saw this commercial about an immigrant that had came to America and is now training for the upcoming Olympics. I thought that was so great, and he started saying that he came to America to live "the American Dream." It has been a long time since I heard that, and it kind of touched me. It also got me thinking: what does America mean to native born citizens and to immigrants. I think America means more to immigrants, because they have been in those countries where they didn't have so many freedoms and then they come the America and they think its the greatest thing in the world. They don't complain about the economy because their countries probably had worst economy. There just big dreamers. I think immigrants is what made America, and it is still making America till this day. Technically where all immigrants except the Native Americans. We all came her one day to find the same freedoms people are still looking for. So I think native born Americans just get wrapped up in their American bubble, and don't really see what America has given them.
I have a few friends that are immigrants, and have the same attitude. There glad they came to America to live a better life. I know one who came from Spain where the men in her house were abusive and her mother ran away came to America. Now, she is about to graduate, just like me. She told me if she never came to America she would not be graduating high school and probably be a young girl working. I know another friend who came to America, who is an illegal immigrant and she is scared everyday to be aborted, but she loves America too, and she has been here since she was a baby, and doesn't even remember her other country. Every immigrant I know loves America because it has given them opportunities that their countries haven't.
That's why I think sometimes America means more to immigrants, then us ignorant native born Americans who have never seen some of the other countries that don't have opportunities as America.
No comments:
Post a Comment