Wednesday, May 16, 2012

AVID Baquet and Giving A Speech!

In my Senior AVID class I got selected to say a speech at our baquet. I was so nervous and I was working on it for a whole week before, and practicing it anally.

Well May 15, 2012 at 6:00p.m. was when the AVID baquet was. That day I helped set up decorations intill 4:00p.m. Then went home to get ready. Getting  getting all dolled up for the baquet was wonderful! I went to the AVID baquet, and everybody told me how pretty and amazing I looked! Confidance boost!!!! Just what I needed. De'andre gave the oppening speech; it was very touching and I was surprised because he is mostly a funny guy always making everybody laugh. After that they showed slide shows of the seniors and it had our baby pictures and where we were going to college. It was great to see all the seniors baby pictures. After that was dinner and it was okay, but desert was best! They had jello shots, cake balls, cookie cake, chocolate cake, cookies, german chocolate pie, ect. It was like heavan for a fat person like me :D !!!

After dinner was my Senior Comment Speech and I was so nervous giving it:

Senior Comment Speech
Hello, I am Jessie Edwards an AVID senior; Thank you for coming today.
 I feel success is an understatement for The Lamar AVID program this year. Our senior class has accomplished so much that I personally feel honored to be a part of this AVID family. The Lamar AVID program is not just a group of individuals but a family whose bond is held together by the dreams of success that we all commonly share. The integrity of this program has been strengthened through the help of our knowledgeable and supportive AVID facilitators and teachers whom we will be eternally grateful for all of their hard work, dedication, and support for us. We have been extremely blessed to have received the opportunities that AVID has provided to us, and the people we have been allowed to work with. As the years have gone by in AVID we the students have grown closer each day. I have met some of the most amazing friends in AVID, and I thank the AVID program for giving me the chance to know these people. I know each AVID senior is going somewhere in their lives and they will not fail to succeed at their dreams; even though their dreams might change over time. AVID has encouraged the seniors since day one. In freshman and sophomore years AVID taught us the proper study techniques for our classes and future college classes. In sophomore and junior year AVID started taking us on trips to visit colleges to help us decide which college was best for us. Senior year Mrs. Burt pushed us to get into college, and apply for scholarships. I would like to thank Mrs. Burt for being the best AVID mom ever, and making me laugh every single day I was in her class. She has inspired us to reach our goal and beyond. I looked forward to my AVID senior class every single A day because we have a good time but also work hard. I would also like to thank all the other AVID teachers who have spent valuable hours helping the AVID program; like Mr. Teer for helping out when he can, and Mrs. Silva for lending her classroom for AVID meetings. One of the best moments of my AVID life was making it to the top of the Guadalupe Mountain with a sprained ankle. I would like to thank Mr. Horton who kept telling us that it was only one more mile when it was really more than that. Without that I don’t think I would have made it, but I am glad that I did make it up the mountain because being on top of Texas with my fellow AVID friends was one of the best feelings in the world.  That same feeling is with me as I do the last sprint to graduation, but the first step towards my career. 
I was so nervous giving my speech, but when I looked down and saw my friend Margo smiling up at me it all just came out perfectly. So when I got done Mrs. Burt came up and hugged me it was a great momment. I have never done anything like this in my life. Never ever have I publically spoken like this! It was amazing and I will never forget it. It turned out perfect even though I was nervous. I am just glad everybody loved it.

After my speech Mr. Davis gave a speech and he quoted me! on the "only one more mile". I felt so accomplished that I got quoted, and today he told me I said some great things. I am still on cloud 9.

I won two awards this night also; which are Outstanding citizenship, and Most Likely to Take A Bullet. I was so happy when I got these awards I was smiling to ear to ear. It felt great to be recognize.

The baquet was very bittersweet cause all my AVID senior friends where there together, and I know we are all going to split up, but this was a day of celebration of the best year ever with them. I hope they have successful lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment